Re: [ietf-smtp] Dombox - A Zero Spam Mail System

2019-09-27 08:57:19
On Friday 27 September 2019 14:35:38 CEST, Keith Moore wrote:
Not valid analogies. Part of the problem with reducing speeding and drug possession is that so many of the people are doing them. If everyone were spamming, it would indeed be hard to police it. But that doesn't seem to be the case. The problem with policing spamming is different - it's too easy for spammers to hide their tracks, e.g. with a botnet.

Lots don't.

If we got spam _reporting_ up to the same level of technical proficiency as we carry out _filtering_, then the problem _might_ be reduced significantly.

I don't think Sendgrid knows that it's spamming me for a get-rich-quick scheme or Tinyurl that the same spammer uses it for his landing pages, I don't think Rapidswitch (a small rent-a-server place) knows that a customer is trying to swindle me (latest iphone 3€!!!).

So I a sunny optimist and believe that sendgrind, tinyurl and most hosters mean well. I do wish I had some practical suggestions for how to make them be well-informed as well as well-meaning.

Arnt