Re: [ietf-smtp] Dombox - A Zero Spam Mail System

2019-09-27 17:37:43
On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 9:32 AM Dave Crocker <dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net>
wrote:

On 9/27/2019 8:53 AM, David MacQuigg wrote:
Perhaps we could view an elaboration of the Administrative Level as an
extension of what is in RFC 5598.  We need better definition of the
specific roles of the Actors, not just call them all ADMDs.  We need
something equivalent to Fig. 1 in
http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Email_system

I see multiple errors in the chart there.

First, citing Browser as an alternative to Client is a misunderstanding
of the role of a browser in email.  I understand the tendency to claim
that 'web mail' is somehow distinct, but really it isn't.  It is merely
a particular approach to the implementation of an MUA, splitting its
functionality between a server and code /inside/ the browser.

Good observation.  I'm not clear how to clarify the diagram, however.  What
it is intended to show is that the Recipient can retrieve his email either
through a browser or through some other client software, and the protocols
communicating with the MDA are different.

Second is citing client and browser as connecting to the MDA, rather
than the mailstore, which is what they really interact with.  They do
this without the involvement of the MDA.

I view the Mailstore as part of the MDA, whether it is actually disks
inside the MDA, or somewhere out in the cloud.  Maybe leaving out the label
"Mailstore" will make the diagram more clear.  I don't see any scenario in
which we need to treat them as separate Agents.  The essential
simplification is that the Recipient can view them as one Mailstore and
Delivery Agent.

Otherwise, the page's use of the term 'actor' is roughly on a par -- but
with more limitations -- with RFC 5598's Section 2.1

RFC 5598's other Section 2 uses of the term 'actor' cover significantly
different contexts than the citizendium use.  For example,
Administrative role is quite different from user-level role.

An Actor in Fig. 1 can be a User or an Agent.  Agents are defined by their
Roles and Responsibilities http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Email_agents   Agents
could include entities like the Registry, which we might connect with a
dotted line to the Receiver.

Can you create a diagram equivalent to Fig. 1, using only the entities and
terminology in RFC 5598?