Re: [ietf-smtp] A Zero Spam Mail System - What works?

2019-09-29 14:04:00
Hi David,
At 05:56 AM 29-09-2019, David MacQuigg wrote:
Changing the subject to minimize discussion of technical detail. I would just like to hear from others with more experience - which of the existing services are doing it right, and how do they do it? The goal is near-zero spam in my inbox (1% is my threshold of annoyance), and no lost emails. Also, please disclose if you have any connection with the service.

I have been using gmail for the last few years. No connection other than as a client. Spam in my inbox is maybe one in 200. I have noticed one or two lost emails in the last year. Before that I was not aware of any. Note: I don't count as spam any that appear

The various mechanisms discussed on the thread, and some others mechanisms such as content filtering, allow you to get close to that 1% threshold. You would have to assess whether those two lost emails are significant. The problem with lost emails is that they end up being the ones which you might consider as important if you are using email for work. There are other mechanisms which can be added. They come with some disadvantages such as data exfiltration. You would be giving some other entity visibility into your business.

The considerations are different for a home user. For example, data exfiltration might not be an issue. Profiling might be an issue. You can find out more about that if you are using gmail: <https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout>https://takeout.google.com/

Regards,
S. Moonesamy