Re: [ietf-smtp] why are we reinventing mta-sts ?

2019-10-07 20:59:08
In article
<b0dae4ca6e95dc83ca70f71ad780a1432273bcf5(_dot_)camel(_at_)aegee(_dot_)org> you
write:
Hello,

On Mon, 2019-10-07 at 18:55 +0530, Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan wrote:
(3) Not all end users have knowledge about how to configure an HTTPS server.
This is the reason why most of
them relying on third party mail hosting services like Gmail for hosting their
mails. They can follow simple
things like adding a DNS record. But configuring an HTTPS server is going to
be a rocket science for them.

Much more people know how to configure an HTTPS server, than to configure a
SMTP server (with STARTTLS).  So configuring
HTTPS is not an obstacle.

Having actualy implemented mta-sts for the mail domains I host (about
85 of them) I can confirm that it's not difficult.  Setting up a
little web server is easy; if for some reason you're outsourcing your
mail to a provider that doesn't support mta-sts, it was a deliberate
decision to put the web server at a different name mta-sts.<name> so
you can point it at some random $5/yr web host if you need to.

This whole argument is fairly silly, since if mta-sts catches on, the
mail providers will all do it for you anyway.  Google provides it for
gmail.com and google.com so their other zillion domains shouldn't be
far behind.