Re: [ietf-smtp] why are we reinventing mta-sts ?

2019-10-07 19:24:40
On Mon, Oct 07, 2019 at 10:04:16PM +0200, Daniel Margolis wrote:
Depending on the level of automation, I think the extra effort required by
MTA-STS ranges from "none" to, unfortunately, "some." But I don't fully
understand the scenario where it's a significant economic burden beyond the
basic cost of hosting an MTA. Can someone help explain this better?

Every supported service requires resources: personnel, expertise,
monitoring, disk, CPU, memory, bandwidth, security, etc.  Every
supported service increases the attack surface and thus increases
the aggregate risk.  In some environments, not only is all of this
expensive but it's administratively quite difficult.

---rsk