Re: [ietf-smtp] why are we reinventing mta-sts ?

2019-10-07 08:25:58
Hello Daniel,

I'm the original author of this prefix proposal. So I hope you don't mind
my input here.

If you have read my responses carefully, you might have noticed that I have
no issues with DNSSEC. In fact, I want DNSSEC to become popular.  The only
thing I don't like about DNSSEC is its complexity. Apart from that, I have
nothing against DNSSEC.

In the case of MTA-STS, I don't support it for the following reasons.

(1) End users have to spend money on buying SSL certificates, buying
hosting packages and then configuring those things.

(2) Even spending an extra $5/month is a big deal in developing countries.

(3) Not all end users have knowledge about how to configure an HTTPS
server. This is the reason why most of them relying on third party mail
hosting services like Gmail for hosting their mails. They can follow simple
things like adding a DNS record. But configuring an HTTPS server is going
to be a rocket science for them.

(4) Big companies like Google and Microsoft has millions of businesses in
their pocket to distribute the MTA-STS solution. So the end result will be
SMTP have to rely on HTTPS forever.

If you still need more reasons, this thread
<https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19628182>has some valid points.

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 2:41 PM Daniel Margolis <dmargolis=