Re: [ietf-smtp] why are we reinventing mta-sts ?

2019-10-07 15:50:18
On 10/7/19 4:37 PM, Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan wrote:

    If you can figure out a backward compatible way for authoritative DNS
    servers to signal that they support DoT without a lot of
    performance loss
    (e.g., a failed probe to port 853 on every query to a non-DoT
    server), a
    lot of people over in dnsop would like to hear about it.

How about adding a prefix or label just like our solution for the authoritative DNS servers that support DoT?

ns1.example.com <http://ns1.example.com> => dot-ns1.example.com <http://dot-ns1.example.com> OR _dot.ns1.example.com <http://dot.ns1.example.com>

I was thinking more in terms of a new DNS RR type:

example.com      DOTNS ns1.example.com

And change DNS servers to return DOTNS records as additional information in the same circumstances as they return NS records.

That way the DOTNS records get automatically discovered in exactly the same way that NS records do.

Of course you want the DOTNS records to be signed with DNSSEC but this is less of a problem for RRs in TLD and SLD zones than it is for DNS zones in general.

Keith