Re: [ietf-smtp] why are we reinventing mta-sts ?

2019-10-08 08:30:12
On 10/8/19 7:34 AM, Tony Finch wrote:

Keith Moore<moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com>  wrote:

I was thinking more in terms of a new DNS RR type:

example.com      DOTNS ns1.example.com
There are interesting problems with using extra delegation records to
bootstrap DoT:

The DNS protocol has to have special logic for every RRtype that appears
at a delegation, so you would need some kind of signalling to indicate
that this is OK for all the parties involved. (I have not thought about
the details of what would be required...)
I'm curious about this.   I thought all of the logic required was on the server end.
You also need to upgrade EPP so that registrars can get the extra records
into the registry database so that the registry can put them in the TLD.

Ah, that makes sense.

But I've been convinced for at least 20 years that the DNS protocol needed an upgrade path anyway, and that having new kinds of "NS" records was the only good way to do it.   So to me the effort required to add support for new delegation records seems like a necessary investment.

And then wait an indefinite time for the registrars to upgrade their
customer-facing interfaces so that you can tell them about the extra
records.

Yes, this is a given.   One of the big problems with the registry-registrar model is that registrars get too much latitude about their customer interfaces.

Keith