Re: [ietf-smtp] Email standard revision, was address maximum length

2019-11-25 22:31:03
On 11/25/2019 7:37 PM, Bron Gondwana wrote:
I think there's a set of three questions which are raised by this discussion:

These are good process questions to end with but not necessarily good technical ones to start with.

If the start is in developing a list of technical changes that are reasonable, with some assessment of their relative importance and difficulty -- and maybe even charting out the details of their solutions -- the sense of community pressure for the work will tend to dictate the process answers.

That is, focus on the substance first, then work out a way to pursue it.

d/

ps. I haven't studied all the messages, so this might have already been mentioned, but note that a possible step short of re-doing the base documents is, of course, creating addenda that modify only portions.

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking