Re: [ietf-smtp] Email standard revision, was address maximum length

2019-11-26 02:20:33
Bron,

I'm going to respond inline to parts of your message, but, after
this, I'm going to follow my own advice and go silent until we
hear from the ADs.  All I know at this point is that I was
approached by Barry, Alexey, and Pete about a possible plan to
spin up a WG to address some mail issues including producing and
processing Internet Standard documents to replace 5321 and 5322.
I am resistant to the idea for two sets of reasons.  One set was
more or less covered by my earlier note (and I may fill in some
extra details below).  The other is that I'm fairly unhappy,
editorially, with 5321 (and 2821 before it).  When 2821 was
being created, we (I'm complicit, but it was definitely a WG
decision), to essentially merge RFCs 821 and 1869, some material
from RFC 1123, and some new material.  The main reason was that
we were concerned that, if we started rewriting, we would
unintentionally introduce discrepancies that we wouldn't have
the resources to catch.  That concern was almost certainly
justified: the one big editorial change we made was to replace
the rather basic BNF of RFC 821 with ABNF.  The change was
marked by a lot of errors, some of which were caught before IETF
Last Call and some of which made it into 2821.  While that
strategy kept the number of inadvertent changes down, the result
is a document that is hard to read and understand and that is
written in a style (or three) that is inconsistent with how we
talk about things, with one important set of examples resulting
from the 15 years between the publication of RFC 821 and that of
RFC 2119.

For the record, I agree with Dave Crocker about the importance
of focusing on substance, not process.  One reason for this is
given in a reply to part of your later note below.

--On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 14:37 +1100 Bron Gondwana