Re: [ietf-smtp] IETF Policy on dogfood consumption or avoidance - SMTP version

2019-12-25 11:01:54
On 12/25/2019 8:43 AM, Keith Moore wrote:
On 12/25/19 11:22 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:

If existing spam filtering practice were working well today, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

That spam filtering practice today is working well is the only reason we are able to have this discussion (over email)...

Note that ignoring the expertise of the anti-abuse industry is not a new starting point. Also note that the track-record of efforts with that foundation of ignorance is entirely predictable.

More broadly, there's always a tension between doing things the old way, and seeking better ways to approach a problem.

Nothing in what I've posted advises doing things in an old way.

Innovation is fine. Innovation based on ignorance of a long history and current complexities is not.

There will always be some naiveté
with new proposals.

Oh?

d/