Re: [ietf-smtp] Endless debate on IP literals

2020-01-01 11:19:56
On Wed, 1 Jan 2020, Dave Crocker wrote:
On 1/1/2020 8:11 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:
We need to be able to point to a detailed, technical specification for 'real MTA'.

It's somewhere between a profile and a BCP. The profile would be of 5321 or 5321bis, a set of commands and features it needs to support, e.g., EHLO with 8BITMIME and STARTTLS and PIPELINING. The BCP is stuff like a fixed IP address with matching forward and reverse DNS that doesn't look generic, and that the MTA uses in its EHLO.

We obviously can't write down a set of rules and say if you do this everyone will accept your mail, but we can make it as likely as possible. I don't think we need to worry about large vs. small systems since everything I'm thinking of is easy to do on a $5/mo VPS or a Raspberry Pi in a school lab.

Regards,