Re: [ietf-smtp] lounging around

2020-01-03 13:03:00
On 1/3/2020 10:03 AM, John Levine wrote:
Utterly irrelevant to mail, but see this quite charming cartoon
about by Charles and Ray Eames about the wonders of mobile lounges:

Wow. I'd never seen that. Besides being charming it does a nice job of giving an extensive bit of thoughtful analysis.

That it entirely missed the security requirements we now have isn't all that surprising, although it dramatically altered things in the main building. More significant to me is that it missed the performance concerns over loading in a single, undifferentiated batch.

It turns out this is relevant to s/f networking, and the difference between switches that do output of a packet while still doing input of it -- giving delays measured in a small number of bit-times, versus ones that have to buffer the entire packet before being able to send it -- giving much larger delays, as well as needing substantial buffer storage...

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking