Re: [ietf-smtp] Endless debate on IP literals

2020-01-02 22:19:25
On 1/2/2020 7:30 PM, Ned Freed wrote:
p.s. I suspect ietf-smtp doesn't want to dig down into details of how
IoT devices should authenticate submissions - at least not just yet -
and such a topic might be better discussed in a working group that's
specifically tailored to that purpose.   For now I just want people to
realize that some long-held assumptions may not be universlaly valid.

IMO we don't have a choice if we're going to do this correctly.

Knowing nothing about the specifics of this domain, I nonetheless find myself wondering...

For MIME, there was infinite debate about what character sets to support and how to support them. After the protracted infinite debate reach asymptote, we punted and instead merely specified a place to specify whatever character set was being used and a registry for listing known sets.

Any chance a similar approach would be viable here?

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking