Re: [ietf-smtp] SMTP status codes 251 and 551

2020-02-10 14:46:06
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020, Kurt Andersen (b) wrote:
does and we all use IMAP.  So I've told the town people how to set up
Gmail to collect mail from a mailbox here and switched back to local
delivery.

Seems like an interesting security/spearphishing hole - find someone who
receives mail on a system that might not be as aggressively filtered and
then reads it via another service which might not apply the same rigor or
warnings for fetched mail as it would for delivered mail.

I suppose that's hypothetically possible, but it seems like a lot of work to exploit a pretty obscuure loophole.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
Dummies",