Re: [ietf-smtp] Email standard revision

2020-02-18 12:09:13
Hi,

On Tue 18/Feb/2020 16:20:36 +0100 Dave Crocker wrote:
After some discussion with Barry, what seems to have been missing is a clear
statement of needs and goals.  Many different approaches to revision are
possible and reasonable.  So the reasons for choosing one needs to be clear.

Logic for a limited effort:

    The current, well-established, core specifications for email are at a
lower
standards level than what the (realistically) long-obsolete versions.  The
goal
is to (finally) establish the later versions as full standards (and, I assume,
declare the earlier versions as obsolete.)

    Any substantive revision to the current specifications runs the risk --
actually the likelihood -- of resulting in the output being labeled at a
/lower/ standards level than it current has, thereby exacerbating the original
issue.

    Hence the revision effort needs to be constrained to altering only
essential, /minor/ details.  A cleanup exercise, if you will.

Yes?

I agree.  I don't think a cleanup, like e.g. the one you proposed[*], would
revert rfc5321bis to proposed standard.  However, I'm not clear on how that
works.  Certainly, rfc2821 was reverted to proposed standard, but I wasn't
there and I don't know who/how decided to label that I-D to a lower standard.

BCP 9 is not so precise:

   [I]f the specification has been changed very significantly, the IESG
   may recommend that the revision be treated as a new document, re-
   entering the standards track at the beginning.

Since there are quite some issues to be clarified[†], I think the new WG will
need some detailed guidelines about what would be a very significant change.

Best
Ale
--

[*] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf-smtp/K1MpIrubUzq6-90Ikdl4yuh7n3o