Re: [ietf-smtp] SMTP Reply code 1yz Positive Preliminary reply

2020-03-05 20:45:57
John K, regarding the Timeouts, I was more facetious than serious here. However, there are situations we already talked about in the past. We could highlight some of them, but I believe the main one was the 5 mins after the transaction was completed and a RSET/MAIL can start a new transaction. The server has to wait 5 minutes. This is a wasteful timeout. By far, the majority, and for most system, 100% of the time, a new shorter wait time would be more scale efficiency, offer more load management friendliness.

This should be an adjustable per domain timeout state. The known sites that correctly issue multiple transactions in a single session can be allowed a longer period to start new transactions.