Re: [ietf-smtp] DSNs

2020-04-25 09:57:23
On 4/25/2020 6:01 AM, Ned Freed wrote:
Aside from implementation errors, I've seen no operational problems with DSNs,
only with the DSN extension. The problem there is that some people have
claimed that since NOTIFY=SUCCESS is a part of the base and they don't want to
do it the only alternative is to disable the entire extension. I disagree; I
think that since security concerns are paramount it's perfectly OK to simply
reject NOTIFY=SUCCESS on security grounds.

Perhaps this goes to the challenge of a specification's distinguishing its essential core, versus desired-but-not-required enhancements.

Fail to support all of the core and it's not valid to claim to support the specification.

The danger of a pick-and-choose free-for-all is that a claim to support a specification provides little useful information.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking