Re: [ietf-smtp] How wrong is this EAI implementation

2020-06-20 18:33:31

--On Saturday, June 20, 2020 18:23 -0400 John R Levine
<johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:

I haven't thought it through but, somehow, converting domains
in backward-pointing addresses (what do they do to/with
"Reply-to:"?) seems more, rather than less, offensive than
forward-pointing ones.

They turn Reply-To into a-labels too.  Bah.

At least consistent.

Like you, I can guess why they are doing this (especially given
consistency).  That doesn't make it less bad taste, more in the
spirit of the spec, or more use-friendly.  But, coming back to
your original question, I think this is permitted and questions
about "wrong" or "broken" are matters of personal opinion.