Re: [ietf-smtp] How wrong is this EAI implementation

2020-06-21 09:53:55
In article
<kzlyExy/3YBZVUSNURxDqMLjYwWYAVGpn6yogCjhITg=.sha-256@antelope.email> you write:
I note that there is no explicit requirement to treat incoming a-labels
as equivalent with u-labels anywhere in the EAI RFCs. Which means that
you can convert labels before sending, but you cannot rely on the
receiver to interpret the result as desired.

I don't think that 5321 requires that bob(_at_)example(_dot_)com and
bob(_at_)EXAMPLE(_dot_)COM
be treated the same, either.

Beyond some point, you can't force people to be reasonable.

In the particular case I mentioned, my MTA is Courier which treats
A-labels and U-labels equivalently in mail addresses, but not in
identifiers for authentication.  It was easy enough to add both versions
to the identifer table, but I think I'm going to send a bug report to
roundcube.