[ietf-smtp] Are A-label and U-label addresses supposed to be equivalent ?

2020-07-11 21:31:01
Let's say I had these two addresses, which are the same except that one has a U-label and the other has the equivalent A-label. They're both non-ASCII addresses since the mailbox name is in Chinese

用户1@后缀.services.net
用户1(_at_)xn--fqr621h(_dot_)services(_dot_)net

Presumably if you're sending mail to those addresses, you should send them to the same place. But on the final delivery MTA, is that one address or two? Different mail software implement it differently.

Looking at RFCs 6530 and 6531 I get the impression the authors assumed they'd be the same but I don't see anywhere it explicitly says so.

Regards,