Re: [ietf-smtp] Fwd: [dispatch] Forced SMTP redirects

2020-07-10 21:32:55
In article
<CAKFo7wmJi--ic_rct91d8wBUTq74qYfzMdOz7r+NqwX+f8ZwsQ(_at_)mail(_dot_)gmail(_dot_)com>
 you write:
I see, well use of the code/codes wouldn't be required so multihop
relays could refuse to use it. The purpose behind it is mainly people
that want to be able to change their email addresses.

I'm pretty sure we all understand what you're proposing. This is not a
new idea -- it is the same thing the 551 code did in RFC 788 in 1981.

Given that 551 has been a failure for four decades, and that long term
forwarding is widely used to address the same problem, you need to
explain why this proposal is different, and who you think is likely to
implement it.

Keep in mind the point about multihop relays. For anyone who uses a
mail program like Outlook or Thunderbird, this won't work, and that's
a lot of people. We try to define standards in ways that work for
everyone.

It would also be a good idea to show that you're familiar with other
attempts to solve this problem and why they have or (mostly) haven't
worked. You could start with the three patents I cited.

R's,
John