Re: [ietf-smtp] EHLO domain validation requirement in RFC 5321

2020-09-27 18:56:09
Keith Moore writes:

On 9/27/20 6:00 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

gosh, Keith.  Don't you consider 95% spam in email over the Internet to be a degradation worthy of attention?

Of course I do, but ONLY if the degradation due to spam filtering is part of the picture.

Any "degradation due to spam filtering" is only due to the spam's existence itself. If there were no spam, there wouldn't be any spam filtering to degrade anything. Spam filtering is not a problem, it's a reaction to a problem.

Furthermore, nobody has any real standing to complain about anyone else's spam filtering. I have no standing to take issue with whatever spam filtering you employ, no matter what I think of its merits. And if you don't do any spam filtering, that's wonderful. However, neither do you have any standing to take issue with anyone else's spam filtering, either.

Once this basic fundamental fact is established – that anyone is free to configure their mail servers in whaever whey they deem to see fit and they are no obligation to accomodate any external third party's desires or opinions – then any pontifications on the negative effects on spam filtering become nothing more than philosophical discussions, void of any practical application. Anyone is free to campaign as much as they wish about whatever undesirable effects of spam filtering they object to. They won't have any effect. People will continue to use spam filtering methods that work for them, and not the ones that some other third party approves of, in some way.

Simple suggestion:  Since you take considerable exception to common email anti-abuse practices, how about providing a detailed plan for an alternative approach and demonstrate its efficacy?

Simple suggestion:   Why don't you stop pretending that this isn't a problem?   Or maybe, stop trying to change the subject any time this gets uncomfortable?

What problem? I see no problem with spam filtering, whatsoever. And I see no problem with EHLO/HELO domain validation. It's a very effective spam filter, and I will continue to use it. I do not believe that I have a unique, or a novel, take on this subject matter.