[ietf-smtp] Delivered-to and Return-path

2021-02-17 23:55:45
If I correctly understand the intended use of Delivered-to and
the meaning of "added at the time of delivery", I believe that
the examples in Section 4 are in error.   The example does not
show a Return-path and I'm having trouble figuring out a case in
which the Delivered-to header field could be added before the
SMTP processor made whatever it would think of a final delivery
and inserted the Return-path.

If that analysis is correct, it appears to me that the examples
can be easily corrected by adding Return-path: header fields,
presumably below the top Delivered-to: one.

If not, some explanation may be in order in Section 5 that I'm
not finding there.

Also, I believe, after reading through this document (at -00)
several times, reading the diffs and then -01, that the meaning
of "final delivery" in its text is different from that in RFC
5321 and 5321bis.   If that is correct, it seems to me to be
worthwhile to be explicit about the difference in this document,
not to simply point to another document and assume the reader
will figure out it.

thanks,