Re: [ietf-smtp] Delivered-to and Return-path

2021-02-18 06:10:07
John C Klensin writes:

If I correctly understand the intended use of Delivered-to and
the meaning of "added at the time of delivery", I believe that
the examples in Section 4 are in error.   The example does not
show a Return-path and I'm having trouble figuring out a case in
which the Delivered-to header field could be added before the
SMTP processor made whatever it would think of a final delivery
and inserted the Return-path.

So, when Delivered-To: entered the picture: to preserve this dependency the MDA adds Delivered-To: after Return-Path:.