Re: [ietf-smtp] CHUNKING and PIPELINING

2021-03-12 18:30:38
Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-dane(_at_)dukhovni(_dot_)org> wrote:

So indeed you can pipeling the entire MAIL transaction from "MAIL"
to "QUIT" (if the number of BDAT segments is small enough).

What's worse (or better depending on your perspective) is that
you can even pipeline MULTIPLE mail transactions, nothing there
to stop the next "MAIL" command being sent right after "BDAT LAST".

At some point a 3030bis clarifying these issues would be welcome
IMHO.

This reminds me of 2007 when I was writing various speculative drafts
http://fanf2.user.srcf.net/hermes/doc/qsmtp/ about reducing SMTP
submission latency, and the question of freely pipelining multiple
transactions came up back then. I don't think there was enough BDAT in the
wild for it to be a pressing concern, so the ideas never went anywhere.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  https://dotat.at/
South German Bight, Humber: Southwesterly veering westerly 6 to gale 8,