Re: [ietf-smtp] homework, not an experiment, draft-crocker-email-deliveredto

2021-08-06 11:32:58
On 8/4/2021 10:00 AM, John Levine wrote:
    "Delivered-To:" FWS Mailbox CRLF
                     ; Mailbox is from [SMTP]
The thing after the FWS is an opaque token. Sometimes it may look like
a mailbox, sometimes not. And even if it looks like a mailbox, it
often is*not*  a mailbox. You can't use it for delayed running of
procmail or redelivery via fetchmail or anything else that expects a
mailbox.

As a concrete example, if you send mail tojohnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com, here's
the Delivered-To

  Delivered-To:virtual-taugh-johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com

Folks,

John just sent me a private note, seeking to use the above message, from the thread here, as 'proof' that current draft for Deliver-To does not suit, with his view that the delivery 'token' is different from the other use for handling tracing.

Unfortunately this mostly demonstrates that he hasn't bothered to read the current draft, since it was modified to cover this case (and some others that we have actually data for.)

One of these days, John might actually engage with the substance of this topic and deal with the available data, rather than simply gaslighting with his own assertions that, so far, lack supporting data.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking