Re: [ietf-smtp] envelope-to format (was: Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-crocker-email-deliveredto-05.txt)

2021-08-10 11:09:30
According to Richard Clayton  <richard(_at_)highwayman(_dot_)com>:
If there's nothing beyond what's in the draft, then it is about time to
make it clear that it is no experiment, and is just trying to document
current practice.

which, if it is entirely practice that occurs within a single MTA is not
something that is usefully standardised across MTAs --

We know of at least three MTAs with the loop breaking semantics, qmail
which originated it, Postfix, and Courier which adapted the idea.

I know that few people still run qmail but it is my impression that large parts
of it lives on on hidden in other software.

Even if it's not all that popular, documenting its current use could discourage
people from reusing the same name for a different purpose which as we've seen
may be a problem.

R's,
John
--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet