Re: [ietf-smtp] [Emailcore] Status of Greylisting (i'd wish MessageID were part of SMTP prologue)

2022-01-15 12:01:17
It appears that Steffen Nurpmeso  <steffen(_at_)sdaoden(_dot_)eu> said:
(The thread continued on ietf-smtp@ due to request.)

Replies sent there since this is still not an emailcore topic.

I think the idea of a retry=[MIN:]SEC member in the deferral
response is interesting, even though i do not know how MTAs manage
their queues .. but likely they could adapt to this easily.

This is not a new suggestion, and nobody I know has ever implemented it
other than as small scale experiments.  The point of greylisting is to
test the retry logic that every real MTA already has, not to invent
yet another hack on the client side.

MTAs run their own retry schedules and it would generally not be easy
to have special schedules for specific messages.

R's,
John