Re: Parameters for top-level XML media types?

1999-05-06 21:41:35
At 12:16 PM 5/7/99 +0900, MURATA Makoto wrote:
Simon St.Laurent wrote:
Generic XML search engines are indeed a possibiliy.  Generic XML browsers
already exist.  Generic XML editors are arriving as well.  If they aren't
useful, that's really quite unfortunate.

Are you talking about generic XML as documents as opposed to
generic XML as data?  I do not think generic XML editors are useful for
XML data for RPC.

It depends on what kind of approach you take.  If you use a single
vocabulary for RPC (like XML-RPC, or something built on IBM's BeanML)
you're generally correct.  If you take a much more general approach
(something like JXML's MDSAX package for program composition from XML
documents) then many of the same possibilities for processing generic XML
data open up that already existed for documents.

I'd be willing to discuss the more general approach in much greater detail
if it seems appropriate.  For a _very_ rough picture, you can see the later
slides in the presentation I've posted at:
     http://www.simonstl.com/articles/nycod/index.htm

We have agreed on another thing.  You are arguing top-level media type for
document-like XML documents.  Right?

MURATA Makoto wrote:

     4. Document-like XML documents can be handled by general-purpose
        XML viewers

I'm arguing top-level media type for document-like XML documents and also
for XML documents in general.  There is no separation between XML for
documents and XML for data - both are possible, both can be mixed, both
approaches can indeed appear within a single 'document'.  Describing the
two as different things is useful in some contexts but not always accurate.

I remain willing to support your 'agreement' number 4 but opposed to #3.
After searching the archives, I find that I joined the list 4/13, while the
agreements were posted on 4/11.  Makes life difficult, I suppose.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications (June)
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com