Re: Some text that may be useful for the update of RFC 2376

2000-03-15 19:41:18
I don't think the 'charset' parameter works that way.
Either you use it, the way it's defined, or you don't.

charset is defined for text.  it's not defined for other types.
application/* types can define a charset parameter any way they want.
(so, for that matter, could audio/*, video/*, or model/*, but
that seems less likely)

Trying it for *every* data format is a bad idea.
But trying it for most formats, or a class of formats, usually works.

well, we've had some trouble doing it even for text/* because
folks wanted to use character encoding schemes that didn't fit
with the MIME text/* model.

Keith