Re: Some text that may be useful for the update of RFC 2376

2000-03-17 07:42:42
At 04:36 PM 3/17/00 +0900, MURATA Makoto wrote:
[Rick Jelliffe]
(and, in any case,
there is no mechanism currently for an XML parser to feed information
about which encodings it accepts to the HTTP system to set up the
preferences in the first place.)

HTTP already has the accept-charset field.  I do not understand your claim.

I think Rick may just be saying that the couplings between XML parsers and
HTTP handlers are pretty loose right now, and it's up to programmers to
tighten those connections.  While it's easy to switch out, say Xerces, in
favor of Aelfred, the HTTP end of the connection isn't going to change it's
accept-charset settings automatically.  It probably won't even notice the
change.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth