Re: Some text that may be useful for the update of RFC 2376

2000-03-22 09:53:07
In message "Re: Some text that may be useful for the update of RFC 2376",
Simon St.Laurent wrote...
HTTP already has the accept-charset field.  I do not understand your claim.

I think Rick may just be saying that the couplings between XML parsers and
HTTP handlers are pretty loose right now, and it's up to programmers to
tighten those connections.  While it's easy to switch out, say Xerces, in
favor of Aelfred, the HTTP end of the connection isn't going to change it's
accept-charset settings automatically.  It probably won't even notice the
change.

I think that the accept-charset field should be hardcoded in XML processors.
If an XML processor supports only a few charsets, it is probably a good idea
to hardcode the accept-charset field for these charsets.

On the other hand, programmers who use existing XML processors should be
liberated from encoding issues.

----
MURATA Makoto  muraw3c(_at_)attglobal(_dot_)net