Re: Question on status of '+xml' notation

2001-10-29 20:27:50

The W3C XML Protocol WG is wondering what the status of the "+xml"
suffix given that various W3C recommendations that have come out after
the RFC rolled out seem to make any of the three choices:

      * don't use "+xml"
      * use "+xml"
      * don't say anything about MIME

We would very much appreciate input on what the deployment status is of
RFC 3023. Note that we are not asking the status of the document itself
but rather the adoption rate in specs and apps.

Speaking as media types reviewer, I interpret RFC 3023 as saying that XML-based
media type registrations should follow the +xml convention whenever possible.
I've therefore pushed back on media type registration requests where I was able
to figure out that the underlying format is XML-based (this isn't always
obvious), and in most cases the registrations were revised accordingly. I'm
also starting to see registrations that have +xml in them from the outset.

                                Ned