Re: Media types

2002-01-09 14:54:29

[I should have CCd ietf-xml-mime on the initial post, but it didn't
occur to me.  Anyhow, that post can be found here;
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Jan/0063.html ]

Speaking for myself now,

Q. 3; What is, or what should be, the relationship between a media type
and an XML namespace?

One of the thoughts that I had quite a while ago (that I believe came
from something I saw from Dan Connolly), was of being able to migrate
from media types to namespaces by exposing the namespace through an
optional namespace parameter on a generic XML media type, for example
XHTML could be described with;

  application/xml; xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";

instead of with the custom type, application/xhtml+xml.

I raised this with the authors of RFC 3023 long ago, but they rejected
it.  But I believe it remains worth considering.  It seems to me to be
a nice bridge, similar to the one the XMLP WG has taken with
"relocating" SOAPAction to a parameter on the proposed SOAP media
type[1].

 [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2002Jan/0029.html

MB
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.      mbaker(_at_)planetfred(_dot_)com