Re: Media types

2002-01-17 15:36:25

It would be difficult for such a thing to happen without the IETF, but
making changes to MIME of any fundamental sort is intensely difficult.
Despite the work I put into RFC 3023, and the very rough consensus we
managed to achieve there, I think XML is demonstrating the limitations
of MIME on a regular basis.

that's a pretty bizarre statement.  perhaps it's truer to say that XML
is trying to misuse MIME on a regular basis?

or that expecting the MIME content-type to convey the action that
should be performed by a recipient, rather than a description of
the content, is a bit of a mis-application of MIME?

the fact that XML picked a means of labelling content that is
incompatible with MIME's content-type is hardly MIME's fault.

Keith