Re: Requesting a revision of RFC3023

2003-09-19 08:05:19

Murata Makoto writes:

I believe that SOAP implementations use the
charset parameter.  If we remove the charset
parameter, we will make them non-conformant.

This is not my area of expertise, but I note that the HTTP binding [1]
provided by SOAP 1.2 Recommendation uses an application/soap+xml media
type, a definition of which is at [2] (I believe it is working its way
through the formal registration process.)  My reading is that the
definition lists charset as optional, and makes clear that its proper use
is to be found in RFC 3023.

I am not aware of what typical implementations of SOAP 1.1 or SOAP 1.2 are
doing, but the 1.2 spec at least seems to list it as optional.  Again, I'm
not expert in this stuff and am not offering an opinion, but I thought the
links might be helpful.

[1]http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part2/#soapinhttp
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part2/#ietf-draft

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

MURATA Makoto <murata(_at_)hokkaido(_dot_)email(_dot_)ne(_dot_)jp>
Sent by: www-tag-request(_at_)w3(_dot_)org
09/19/03 08:10 AM