Re: Requesting a revision of RFC3023

2003-09-22 13:52:17

Hi Martin, et al,

Having tracked the thread down and having read it I feel like I can
contribute something to it. This is a common and not very fun problem that
our implementations encounter frequently with XML documents transmitted to
our system by other products.

SOAP 1.2 recommends the use of application/soap+xml as the media type
(although it is not required, see section 7.1.4 of [SOAP12-PART2], it is
pretty close to a requirement for HTTP). Noah is correct that charset is
optional. In the absence of charset, the application/*xml types default to
the encoding embedded in the XML document itself, which I think is generally
seen to be the desirable way to go.

Various SOAP implementations less than 1.2 use various media types,
including text/xml, depending on the transport, etc.

The problem with changing rfc3023 is that there are a number of
implementations out there that adhere to the exact letter of the involved
RFCs (3023/2045/2046/etc.). I seem to recall that there are implementations
that require the charset parameter or which forceably filter the data to
ASCII (converting all 8th-bit bytes to the '?' character) and thus there are
many implementations that, to get the right results with these, forceably
emit charset parameters.

Therefore, unless absolutely forbidden, implementations would still have to
support the use of charset with both media types. And I don't see how we can
forbid the use of the charset parameter given the need for need for
interoperability with extant sensitive systems.

It would be nice if text/xml could be modified, since it is quite common to
get un-charset-labeled content that really is NOT US-ASCII. Since one can
always detect that a data stream is not US-ASCII, it has always seemed a bit
odd to me that the RFCs require the data to be destroyed when there is clear
evidence that one is losing something. I understand the reasoning, but I
think there is a difference between saying that omission of a charset
parameter invites data corruption (e.g. the MIME or XML processor is not
required to look at the XML content and thus MAY use US-ASCII to interpret
the data) and one that insists on it (e.g. the MIME or XML processor is
required to interpret the data using US-ASCII-7).

Perhaps we should focus on the semantics of charset not being present,
instead of focusing on forbidding/requiring charset itself. Consider this
paragraph of RFC3023:

<snip>
      Conformant with [RFC2046], if a text/xml entity is received with
      the charset parameter omitted, MIME processors and XML processors
      MUST use the default charset value of "us-ascii"[ASCII].  In cases
      where the XML MIME entity is transmitted via HTTP, the default
      charset value is still "us-ascii".
</snip>

This could be changed to something more friendly, like:

<snip>
      If a text/xml entity is received with
      the charset parameter omitted, MIME processors and XML processors
      MAY attempt to detect the charset from the XML content itself. Such
      detection MUST follow the requirements of section 4.3.3 of [XML].
      MIME and XML processors that do not attempt or are unable to detect
      the charset using this requirement must use US-ASCII (or UTF-8????)...
etc. and so forth...
</snip>

This allows receivers the leeway to detect errant senders (while leaving
errant senders of text/xml as non-conforming). This seems like a reasonable
compromise to me.

[SOAP12-PART2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/PR-soap12-part2-20030507

Just my two cents. Best Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture

432 Lakeside Drive, Sunnyvale, CA, USA
+1 408.962.5487 (office)  +1 408.210.3569 (mobile)
mailto:aphillips(_at_)webmethods(_dot_)com

http://www.w3.org/International/ws

It is not a feature.

<mailto:ietf-xml-mime-request(_at_)imc(_dot_)org?body=unsubscribe>