Re: proposed media type registration: application/voicexml+xml

2003-12-19 08:23:29

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:30:44 -0500
Martin Duerst <duerst(_at_)w3(_dot_)org> wrote:

There is some work starting on updating RFC 3023, and we hope that
we can use it to document the issues and questions that have
come up on the list. Chris has volunteered to coauthor, and I'll
help from the sidelines. Probably having all the information together
in one place, is better than having some of the information separated out.

As a co-author, I also agree to add some guidelines for the omission of the
charset parameter.  Chris and I will start this work shortly.

When a media type uses UTF-8 only, I can agree to omit the charset
parameter. "UTF-8" is already a recommended policy
(http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/#sec-UniqueEncoding).  I do not see strong
reasons to specify charset="utf-8" always.  However, even in this case, I
am sympathetic to Martin's worry ("we start to get into a patchwork").
In all other cases, I do not want to allow omission of the charset
parameter.  How do others feel?

By the way, "The Standard Hex Format" uses UTF-8 only.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-strombergson-shf-00.txt

Cheers,

--
MURATA Makoto <murata(_at_)hokkaido(_dot_)email(_dot_)ne(_dot_)jp>