Re: Registration of media type application/xhtml-voice+xml

2005-07-14 08:28:16

* Gerald McCobb wrote:
1. In particular there is the work in the W3C Compound Document Format
(CDF) working group.  They are looking at defining a single media type
that will handle the many possible document format combinations of XHTML,
SVG, Voice, SMIL, XForms, etc.  This media type may include multiple "+"
put in a profile attribute.

From http://w3.org/2004/CDF/admin/charter and http://w3.org/TR/CDRReqs/
it rather seems they are currently working on the first draft on using
XHTML 1.x where the user agent supports some version of SVG through the
XHTML object element. The media type for XHTML 1.x is application/
xhtml+xml, I seriously doubt they are going to propose new media types
for something that had a media type for many years now and has in fact
been implemented for quite some time. It would cause a lot of confusion
for no good reason.

Other than that, it is quite obvious that use of media type parameters
or deploying new media types for XML-over-HTTP content is difficult,
to say the least. It's difficult to see how new types or type+parameter
combinations might work with running code or which infrastructural
changes are supposed to support this; or what we might gain from it.

Clearly though, if the CDF Working Group is working on architectural
solutions here they should publish their current thinking as Internet-
Draft.
--
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern(_at_)hoehrmann(_dot_)de ·
http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de