Re: Registration of media type application/xhtml-voice+xml

2005-07-13 09:59:41

On Wednesday, July 13, 2005, 6:33:04 PM, Gerald wrote:

GM> I asked the IESG to postpone the publication of the
GM> application/xhtml-voice+xml media type as an informational RFC.  The
GM> registration is not correct.  It should be
GM> application/xhtml+voice+xml.  The application/xhtml+voice+xml media
GM> type was the original submission.

The entire reason that the +xml suffix was changed from the original
-xml suffix was beczause there were a number of hyphenated types in use
but little/no types where the terms were separated by +.

GM> There is an issue with the original submission:

GM> One of the reviewers pointed out that "a certain class of error
GM> could be avoided by renaming this
GM> application/xhtml-plus-voice+xml... I don't know of any other "+xml"
GM> [see RFC3023] media types that have a "+" in the name... a
GM> poorly-constructed regexp looking for +xml along the lines of
GM> /\+(.*)$/  would miss this one."

I agree that so far there are no types with a + in the name, and that
using some other allowed separator would be preferable.

GM> 1. In particular there is the work in the W3C Compound Document
GM> Format (CDF) working group.  They are looking at defining a single
GM> media type that will handle the many possible document format
GM> combinations of XHTML, SVG, Voice, SMIL, XForms, etc.  This media
GM> type may include multiple "+" put in a profile attribute.

Probably not (I for one would argue against it, being a member of that
group). But 'may include' is pretty weak.

GM> 2. The argument for having "+" in the subtype is unconvincing,
GM> given that the simplest method to determine if something is XML is
GM> also the safest, that is, if the last four characters are "+xml" or
GM> "/xml" then the document is XML, otherwise it is not. If that has to
GM> be done with regexps, instead of just examining the last four bytes,
GM> that would be /[/+]xml$/.  If type and subtype were split already it
GM> would be /\+?xml$/ for the subtype.

True.

--
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:chris(_at_)w3(_dot_)org
 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group