Registration of media type application/xhtml-voice+xml

2005-07-13 09:33:20
I asked the IESG to postpone the publication of the
application/xhtml-voice+xml media type as an informational RFC.  The
registration is not correct.  It should be application/xhtml+voice+xml.
The application/xhtml+voice+xml media type was the original submission.

There is an issue with the original submission:

One of the reviewers pointed out that "a certain class of error could be
avoided by renaming this application/xhtml-plus-voice+xml... I don't know
of any other "+xml" [see RFC3023] media types that have a "+" in the
name... a poorly-constructed regexp looking for +xml along the lines of
/\+(.*)$/  would miss this one."

I believe this argument is not strong enough to prevent approval of the
application/xhtml+voice+xml media type:

1. In particular there is the work in the W3C Compound Document Format
(CDF) working group.  They are looking at defining a single media type
that will handle the many possible document format combinations of XHTML,
SVG, Voice, SMIL, XForms, etc.  This media type may include multiple "+"
put in a profile attribute.

2. The argument for having "+" in the subtype is unconvincing, given that
the simplest method to determine if something is XML is also the safest,
that is, if the last four characters are "+xml" or "/xml" then the
document is XML, otherwise it is not. If that has to be done with regexps,
instead of just examining the last four bytes, that would be /[/+]xml$/.
If type and subtype were split already it would be /\+?xml$/ for the
subtype.

Regards,
Gerald McCobb
IBM
8051 Congress Avenue
Boca Raton, FL 33487
Tel. # 561-862-2109 T/L 975-2109

"Scott Hollenbeck" <sah(_at_)428cobrajet(_dot_)net>
07/12/2005 06:09 PM