Re: Registration of media typeimage/svg+xml

2010-11-19 03:44:16

On 18.11.2010 23:22, Chris Lilley wrote:
In that case I can remove the section.

Thanks for that!

Julian, does that satisfy your concern as well?

Partly. As Björn already said, the svgz file extension still is mentioned in a way that could be understood to say that the gzipped variant *is* the same mime type.

I think we have now agree that it is not, right?

One way to address this would be to mention it elsewhere, stating this is just a convention, and how it needs to be handled. I do believe that the registration template is not the best place for it, though (maybe a WG Note that establishes the filename convention and shows how to serve that stuff over HTTP?).

Of course an alternative is to make it a *separate* media type. I believe that Maciej Stachowiak said at the Lyon TPAC that Safari on MacOS internally uses media types, and that they actually had to add a workaround so that they could map both *.svg and *.svgz to the same (hopefully I got that right; cc'ing him). That's exactly the kind of problem I'm hoping to avoid.

Best regards, Julian