Re: [ietf-types] Registration of media typeimage/svg+xml

2010-11-24 16:18:10

On Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 9:14:12 PM, Larry wrote:

LM> Martin, in a couple of places you complained that the SVG registration
LM> template, contained in a W3C document, referred to "this specification",
LM> and said:

LM> # "this specification" doesn't work when the registration template is
LM> # taken out of the SVG spec. Either say "the SVG specification" or
LM> # explicitly reference a specific version of the specification.

LM> However, I think it is common practice both in W3C and IETF, that
LM> a registration template embedded within another document can
LM> reasonably say "this specification" to mean the document in which
LM> it is embedded, with the registry itself pointing to an
LM> explicit version of the spec as well as the template within.

Larry, your interjection is timely, as I was just about to edit the
registration to address Martin's comment.

Given that we already have

Published specification:

    This media type registration is extracted from Appendix P of the
    SVG 1.1 specification. http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/

I'm tempted to just s/this specification/the published specification/

LM> There are plenty of examples... perhaps those comments don't apply?

LM> (This comment applies to all registries, not just of media types.)

LM> Larry

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG