IETF meeting wireless "standard"

2000-02-09 04:30:01
Folks,

Although providers of Internet access at IETF meetings are free to add all sorts of functional enhancements, there are some basics that have become standard, such as DHCP-based RJ-45 Ethernet access.

Given the remarkable benefit that we have experienced with wireless access, recently, I'd like to suggest that we declare it a standard for IETF meetings.

My impression from online discussions prior to the last IETF meeting, is that there is a rough consensus that 802.11 DS (2Mbps/11Mbps) is the technology choice, for the current market.

(I've already been told that Adelaide will support this, so this thread does not affect their service efforts.)

My reason for the particular timing of this note is to wonder -- if there is consensus about long-term support for 802.11 DS -- whether a bulk purchase of cards for a discounted price is worth pursuing prior to (or at) Adelaide?

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA

Gong Xi Fa Cai   /  Selamat Tahun Baru Cina