Re: IETF meeting wireless "standard"

2000-02-11 14:30:03
At 09:23 AM 2/9/00 -0500, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
Prior.  Definitely prior; that way folks don't have to spend the first
half of the week hacking support for the 802.11 DS card into NetBSD,
Linux, BSDI, et. al.  :-)

There is a neat FAQ at http://www.wavelan.com/products/faq/ and one of the FAQ items says: The WaveLAN Network Interface Cards (NICs) include NDIS and ODI client drivers, allowing WaveLAN to work in the Windows 95/98, Windows NT, Win2K, Apple, Linux and Novell environments. I seem to recall that someone has already done NetBSD and BSDI for these cards, but I've lost that email.

I'm definitely interested.  So do we have someone with a company
connection who can get the IETF a good bulk discount on 801.11 DS cards?
Especially the 11 megabit variant...  (Is Adelaide going to have 11 mbps
support?)

I've been working on getting Lucent to sponsor DS 11Mbps base station support as well as a deep IETF-special discount on new 11mbps PCMCIA cards. More information to come soon.

BTW, if you have older slower Wavelan gear the new base stations are backwards compatible.