Re: IETF Adelaide and interim meetings for APPS WGs

2000-02-15 06:00:02
At 05:45 PM 2/14/00 -0700, Vernon Schryver wrote:
In other words and politically correct pretense asside, the IETF is not
an international organization.  Despite its posturing, the IETF is a U.S.
or perhaps North American organization that welcomes non-U.S. participants
and occasionally spends a lot of its U.S. participants' time and money to
try to make people outside of North America feel welcome.

As a non-US IETF participant, I found this statement mildly insulting. But then I have to ask myself "why?". It is true that a majority of IETF participation is US-based. It is true that the IETF secretariat is wholly US-based. It is true that the IETF is an outgrowth of a US national organization. So on the face of it, your statement appears entirely true.

But I am still uncomfortable with it. It implies that, somehow, any non-US participant is somehow a second class citizen, who is permitted to attend purely as a concession by the US elite whose organization this is. Maybe that also is true -- but I don't have to like it. I very much prefer the "pretense" that the IETF is an organization that provides technical direction for a truly global facility, and that it aspires to do so for the benefit of all the world's people, with equal status and consideration allowed to any who can participate, from wherever they may originate.

#g
--

Graham Klyne