Re: Last Call: Textual Conventions for Additional High Capacity D ata Types to Proposed Standard

2000-03-27 03:30:02

Dan Romascanu writes:

[...]

Dan> I suggest replacing this text by the following:

Dan> The following textual conventions are defined to support unsigned
Dan> 64-bit data types for MIBs such as the HC-RMON MIB [HC-RMON].

Dan> The reason is that other MIB documents should feel free to use
Dan> the Textual Conventions described by this document freely, until
Dan> a permanent solution is standardized as part of some evolution of
Dan> the SNMP SMI.

I think that MIB authors should think at least twice before using
these TCs. There is text in the ID on the limitations and implications
of using these TCs. The abstract actually says that these TCs may be
deprecated in the future (when a long term solution is in place). So
taking your comment into account, I suggest the following replacement
text:

: The following textual conventions are defined to support unsigned
: 64-bit data types for MIBs such as the HC-RMON MIB [HC-RMON]. The
: textual conventions represent a limited short-term solution and
: may be deprecated as a long term solution is defined and deployed
: to replace it.

This is basically a repetition of the warning which is already in the
TC definitions. But I think it is important so that people really
think twice whether they want to use these TCs.

/js

<schoenw(_at_)ibr(_dot_)cs(_dot_)tu-bs(_dot_)de>  Dept. Operating Systems &
Computer Networks