RE: Standards development (was HTML forms)

2000-03-31 03:10:02
Jony,

Thanks for your message:

In my experience, the proper way to develop standards is to
begin with a private implementation.

Private?  Anyone is welcome to my Mozilla mods if they will
try to port them to Gecko.  Most browsers already implement
file upload.  The only difficulty is in interfacing form
elements to various device drivers.  Even though that does
sound terribly difficult, it really doesn't have to be.  One
of the most useful extensions,
     <input type=file device=console accept=text>
as shown in the examples, is intended to launch an external
file editor on a workstation, when its corresponding widget
is selected.  There is no reason that couldn't be used for
microphone upload, with the widget ("Browse..." replaced
with "Record...") launching the system's standard audio
recording 'accessory' application.  The concept is proven,
but the browser producers do not seem at all likely to
provide their implemetations without affirmative advocacy
and authority of the W3C, or the IETF.

The WebTV Plus had implemented 8000 (8-bit) sample per second
audio microphone upload in late 1997.  Though I did the spec
there, to this day I don't know who in WebTV engineering did
the actual implementation or the documentation you can read
in the WebTV Plus FAQ.

Cheers,
James