Re: recommendation against publication of draft-cerpa-necp-02.txt

2000-04-08 15:40:03

Keith Moore wrote:

The industry and their customers have already decided against you on
this one.

Industry people love to make such claims.  They're just marketing BS.
The Internet isn't in final form yet and I don't expect it to stabilize
for at least another decade.  There's still lots of time for people to
correct brain damage.

Well, I don't share the view of a monotonic march towards the "correct"
Internet.
Just as the first single celled giving off massive amounts of waste oxygen
created
an environment which led eventually to the furry mammals, the Internet responds
and
evolves from instantiation to instantiation. I hear talk about products which
people
expect to only have a lifetime of a few years, or even a period of months, until
evolution moves us all on. Some of the things that you find so offensive may not
even be relevant in a couple of years.

But (you knew they'd be a but, didn't you?) there is a substantial market for
products based upon interception or redirection technologies today. I don't
offer
this as a technical argument for their adoption. I was merely pointing out that
the
market has voted on this technique and judged it useful despite what the IETF
might
or might not decree. Short of punishing those poor misguided users, I don't know
what else you can accomplish on this one...

I'm wondering about the future of an IETF that consistently takes itself
out of play in this way.

IETF's job is to promote technical sanity, not to support unsound vendor
practices.

Well there you go. You think the IETF's Seal of Approval and promotion of
technical
sanity can prevent our unsound vendor practices  from perpetrating Marketing BS
on
poor users. You're right - the positions are fairly clear at this point. I'll
try to
quieten down now...

                                                                  - peterd